Louki/Sorakaya Halwa- Bottle gourd Dessert

Bottle gourd is called Sorakaya in Telugu and Louki/dudhi in Hindi. I love its fry with roti, it is my all time favorite combination. Bottle gourd is good for health. Though I know of this halwa before but I never prepared at home. This is my first attempt after my marriage. I kept this to my hubby, at first he asked me "ee padartham emiti???" meaning "What is is called?(in a bit criticizing way!)" then he had I spoon upon my request, he was like WOWW!!!! and we both finished it in no time. Hope you like it too!!!!

Ingredients:
Milk-2cups
Shredded bottle gourd- 1cup
Ghee-2tbsp
Sugar-1/2cup
Kova/Koova-1/4cup(Optional)
Cardamom powder-1/4tbsp
Kismis/golden raisins-10 in number
Cherry raisins-10in number(optional)
Cashew nut-10 in number broken

Directions
Heat ghee in a pan and add cashewnuts and raisins and fry till they turn light brown. Them add shredded bottle gourd and keep stirring under medium flame till it is well cooked. Now add milk and cook untill the total mixture become more condensed. Now add sugar and mix well. cook for few more minute and finally add kova and cardamom powder. Adding kova(milk jaggery) is highly optional. Cook for another 2min and turn off the stove. Now the halwa is ready to serve. Hope you like  my recipe :)

Comments

  1. This recipe is completely new to me. Looks tempting sweet.

    BTW, I have tagged you for a 7 links game. Do visit my blog for details.

    Cheers,
    Uma
    http://umaskitchenexperiments.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. delicious looking innovative halwa looks wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  3. Healthy version of halwa.. Looks yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Halwa looks amazingly delicious and mouthwatering.

    Deepa
    Hamaree Rasoi

    ReplyDelete
  5. My fav halwa recipe.. looks absolutely invting :)
    Indian Cuisine

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow ...it is looking awesome & mouth watering. pls link it to my ongoing event yummy desserts for new year

    .http://pran-oriya-recipies.blogspot.com/2011/12/eee.html

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by GOOD FOOD RECIPES
Bookmark this blog, or subscribe via email, the recipes will reach your inbox
Do not forget to like me on Facebook and follow me on twitter :)
Please come back again :)
your DD :)