Vegetable Kolhapuri Curry, and Ganesh Chaturdi

I know this Kolhapuri recipe is no where linked with Ganesh festival, but today I feel like sharing my way of celebrating Ganesh Chaturdi with my family as the festival is approaching near by. I was born in Ganesh Navaratri's and co-incidentally my favorite God is also Ganesha. I like all his stories and qualities, his love towards parents, siddhi and buddhi. I am from Hyderabad, the metropolitan  multicultural and multilingual city. Here, every festival is celebrated with wonderful colors, and lights. At every main street, you can see vendors selling Ganesha's statues and Pathri (Leafs and flowers offerd to God). Kids of our colony used to collect the funds to put their own "Bala Ganesha", where as older people used to keep the bigger Ganesha "Siddi Vinayaka" decorated with lights and flowers. There used to be heavy devotional music, poojas and very important part prasad (Food offerings to God) all day.

On first day of Ganesha festival, me and my father used to go bare foot (of course on a vehicle) to bring Ganesha Idol and Patri. I used to love the small umbrellas, for Lord Ganesha very much. Later we come home, and decorate house with flowers and "Mamidi Thoranam" a special garland made with Mango leaves and tied to every door in house and gate. Later  we used to decorate pooja mandhir with Ganesha statue and all patri and flowers. My mom who is a wonderful cook, used to make many dishes along with a special dish "undralla Payasam" which is a must food for this festival. Now, here I did not mention about my bro, you might be wondering what he is doing, he is asleep now. As soon as we start our prayer he wakes up, takes bath and come to pooja room at aarthi time and eat all prepared food (Very smart, right!!! :)). I love my bro, even now he is the same. I know after reading all this story you relate the same beautiful things happening at your home too. I miss my parents and bro a lot. I hope that Lord Ganesha Blessings stay on my family and your family life long.

Now coming to the recipe, I make this Kolhapuri vegetable curry when I have all the chunks of left over vegetables in my home. This is one of my favorite too!

Ingredients:
Cauliflower-1cup
chopped carrot-1/2cup
Green capsicum chopped-1/2cup
green peas-1/4cup
onion paste-1cup
tomato puree 1cup
Any other vegetables like potato, brinjal etc., (if you wish)-1 cup
Garam masala-1/4tea spoon
Ginger garlic paste
Cloves-2
cardamom-2
cinnamon stick 1
bay leaf-1
salt to taste
chili powder-1/2tbsp (to taste)
coriander powder-1/2tbsp
cumin powder-1/2tbsp
yogurt/curd-2tbsp
curry leaf-1 spring
cilantro/coriander leaf-10 springs finely chopped

Method:
Fry all vegetables separately in some oil till semi cooked and keep aside. Now take a thick bottom pan and add 2tbsp of oil and heat. Add clove, cardamom, cinnamon and bay leaf and saute for 30sec. Remember always the pan should be on a medium heat. Add onion paste & ginger garlic paste and wait till it turns golden brown, stir in between. Now, add all the spice powders coriander. cumin, garam masala, chili powder and salt mix well and immediately add tomato puree and mix well. When the tomato puree is cooked add yogurt and stir. When all the raw flavor of yogurt is gone, toss in all the vegetables and curry leaf. Stir well and add water if the gravy is too thick. Close the pan with lid and cook in simmer for 5min, finally check for taste and garnish with cilantro.

Yummy Kolhapuri vegetable curry is ready to serve. Serve with some masala green pea rice which is awesome combination for this recipe/

Comments

  1. Beautiful dish, aromatic and healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmmm... a mouth watering curry, perfect with rotis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really tongue tickling...
    Gujaratonnet.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by GOOD FOOD RECIPES
Bookmark this blog, or subscribe via email, the recipes will reach your inbox
Do not forget to like me on Facebook and follow me on twitter :)
Please come back again :)
your DD :)